Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Its hot in the garden!

It has been a very, very hot summer! Lots of days with air quality and heat index alerts - which is keeping me out of the garden. The weeds are getting a foot hold, and I am hoping for cooler soon so I can get motivated to get out there! Here is a pretty shot of the cleome (aka cats' whiskers or spider flower) which seems to shrug off the heat and seedlings pop up all over the garden.

And my artichoke! It made a little bud -- this one appeared right before we left for the beach (more about that in my next post) -- I deeply watered it and crossed my fingers and then left for 9 days. When I got home, the leaves were flat on the ground, the bud looked ready to bloom and another small bud had formed. I harvestd the little one and may cook it for dinner tonight, but the big one has turned from a vegetable into more of a flower so I am not going to eat it. I'm afraid this heat may be the end of my artichoke - we'll see next spring!

No comments: